Fundamentals Roasting Course - 16th August 2024
Whether you want to expand your coffee roasting knowledge or are starting from scratch, for fun or your business, our coffee roasting fundamentals course is the perfect starting point to learn the foundations of coffee roasting. Covering the essentials of coffee roasting, this course will outline the entire process, from coffee grading and green coffee structure to equipment operation and maintenance, roast profiling and basic blending techniques to get you started, giving you a sound understanding of coffee science.
- Duration: 9am - 4pm (6 hours total, 1 hour for lunch)
- Cost: $550 per person (includes green and roasted coffee)
- Course number: Maximum of 8 people
- Experience required: Beginner to Basic, Never roasted (ideally has completed a Barista course or has some industry experience making coffee or competent at coffee extraction)
- Coffee Shop Owner wanting to Roast in House
- Home roaster
- New to or limited experience commercial roaster requiring foundation knowledge
- Green Coffee Structure and Types
- Processing Types/Techniques
- Introduction to Coffee Grading
- Bean chemical properties
- Coffee Roasting principles and definitions
- Introduction to Coffee Roasting Thermodynamics
- Equipment operation and maintenance
- Green bean selection and origins
- Browning: Caramalisation and Maillards Reaction
- Roast profiling and logging - theory and practical
- Beginner Temperature and Time Control
- Roasted coffee flavour profiles - degrees of roast
- Basic Blending Techniques
- Introduction to Cupping and Sample Roasting
- Weighing, storing and bagging
- Supplier contacts and what you need to get started
The Coffee Roasting Fundamentals course involves theory and practical roasting as well as some cupping.
At the end of this course the participant will have a sound understanding of green coffee as an ingredient as well as coffee science in relation to chemical reactions and thermodynamics in roasting.
They will learn how to control a roast to achieve cup character and be able to replicate profiles.
The aim of this course is to provide the foundation knowledge for the participant to then gain practical experience on a coffee roaster whether at home or commercially which will then put them in a position to complete an intermediate coffee roasting course down the track.